Latest News

8 Jul 2018

Frimley Green Carnival

Blackwater Valley Veterinary Centres would like to thank everyone who visited our stand. We had a glorious sunny and a very hot day at The Carnival. Loads of people and quite a few brave dogs. We provided plenty of water and a paddling pool to help them cool down.

The raffle helped us rise money for the local charities. Also, congratulations to the worthy winners. Great day

 

 


5 Jul 2018

This Sunday is Frimley Green Carnival

This Sunday is Frimley Green Carnival. As we have done every year we will support our local community and take part. We will be on hand to chat toy you about your pets, offer free advice and treats for your furry friends. We will also have a raffle with wonderful prices and all the proceeds going to RSPCA and Cat Protection League . We look forward to seeing you there!

 


22 May 2018

We are helping Surrey Heath keeping our Recreation Grounds Clean

Blackwater Valley Vets is taking part in a two-year project aimed at keeping our Recreation Grounds Clean. We are happy to support Surrey Heath providing dog waste stations and free dog waste bags. All dog walkers should take advantage of this and make sure they clean after their pets. This helps reduce the spread of parasites and helps everyone enjoy our borough.

Best wishes from Blackwater Valley Vets

 

 


9 Apr 2018

Roadworks are being carried out on Gordon Avenue by Surrey County Council

Roadworks are being carried out on Gordon Avenue by Surrey County Council. The surgery is open as normal.
The team are on site today to carry out some patching work. They will be returning to complete the surface treatment as soon as they can, however, this part of the process is weather dependent, so there could be delays.
 
We have been assured that access will be maintained when safe to do so. The team on site are aware of your situation and will make sure you have access when possible.
 
Kind regards
The team at Gordon House Vet Centre

24 Mar 2018

Easter Opening Times


13 Mar 2018

Chocolate and Raisins Poisoning

We have just survived the last that the winter had installed for us. With Easter approaching we have lots of nice things to look forward to: all that chocolate and hot cross buns. But please be careful as our little companions lover these too yet they are highly toxic.

Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine which primarily affects the nervous system, cardiovascular system (heart and circulation) and urination. In high enough doses, it can be toxic to all species, including humans! Fortunately for us, chocolate contains a small enough quantity that humans can usually process it without a problem, however metabolism of theobromine from chocolate and cocoa is slow in the dog compared to their owners. The onset of clinical signs of chocolate toxicity is usually seen within 24 hours but more likely within four hours. Once seen the signs may persist for up to 72 hours.

The signs to watch out for if your dog has eaten too much chocolate include:

  • Increased excitability / irritability
  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Vomiting
  • Increased urination
  • Muscle tremors
  • Severe intoxication, seizures, cardiac arrest and death can occur

Chocolate is also toxic for cats, but it is rarely a problem for them as cats do not generally like the taste

For a 10 kg dog such as a West Highland Terrier, potentially toxic levels can be reached by eating only 60 grams of cooking chocolate.

Treatment

Your dog should be seen immediately by your veterinarian, but you will need to call your veterinarian first to find out if there is immediate care that you begin with. It is common practice to induce vomiting and control any seizures, should they occur. In the meantime, you will need to keep your dog cool, calm, and in a quiet space.

Fluids will be given to keep your dog to keep it hydrated as its condition improves. To avoid any further problems, it should be fed a bland diet for several days.

Prevention

It is crucial to your pet’s health to keep chocolate products out of their reach, as there is no antidote to chocolate toxicity. Dogs unfortunately will NOT learn from their mistakes on this occasion. In fact “repeated offenders” are extremely common. Please make sure you keep chocolate out of their reach.

 

Raisin poisoning

Grape and raisin poisoning will usually cause dogs to develop some combination of the following symptoms:

 

Vomiting/diarrhoea often within a few hours of ingestion. Vomit and fecal contents material may contain pieces of grapes or raisin.

Loss of appetite

Lethargy, weakness, unusual quietness

Dehydration

No urine passed or only small amount passed

Bad breath or mouth ulcers

Tremors

Seizures

Coma

 

Causes

Grape and/or raisin ingestion – even small amounts can be toxic for some dogs while other dogs can ingest relatively large amounts without developing obvious symptoms. The toxic agent has not yet been identified but appears to be associated with the flesh of the fruit. In other words, peeled and/or seedless grapes are still toxic.

Immediate Treatment

This is an emergency, needing immediate treatment. If you are positive that your dog ingested grapes or raisins within the last two hours, you will need to induce vomiting as soon as possible, before all the toxins in the fruit can be absorbed.


5 Feb 2018

VETERINARY PIOSONS INFORMATION SERVICE SPRING NEWSLETTER

A very common spring flower to bright up gardens and parks at this time of year is crocus (Crocus species). The flowers may be orange, yellow, violet or blue and the petals can be veined violet or white. This plant is considered to be of low toxicity (saffron, which is used to flavour and colour a variety of foods, is actually the dried flower parts of a crocus species [Crocus sativus]). Ingestion of crocus may cause a mild gastrointestinal upset, and severe signs are not expected.
This spring flowering crocus is not to be confused with autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale), which flowers in the autumn and contains colchicine, a toxic compound

With the festivities over and spring (almost) upon us it is nearly the start of adder season. We have already had our first few calls regarding an adder bite. Snakes hibernate during the winter months but are commonly seen during the spring and throughout the summer months. The European adder generally will only bite when provoked. Not all bites result in envenomation, but still can elicit a painful response.
Local effects – The majority of dogs will develop local effects and painful swelling may occur within minutes of the bite and can last several days. Puncture wounds may be visible and may weep exudate. If the bite is to the face the swelling may affect the animal’s ability to eat and drink and to thermoregulate.
Systemic effects – Systemic effects include lethargy, bruising, hypersalivation, vomiting and diarrhoea, panting, tachypnoea and lameness (if bitten on a limb). Shock, collapse and hypotension can occur. Other signs can include haematological, renal, hepatic and cardiac. Death is uncommon.
Treatment is supportive with IV fluids, analgesia (preferably opioid analgesia), an antihistamine and antivenom. Routine use of an antibiotic is not required as infection is not common. Steroids must not be given where antivenom is to be used. We can offer specific advice on the use of antivenom and information on obtaining antivenom is available on our website.
If you are interested in confirming a suspected adder bite we can help with the arrangements. There is no cost as this is an unvalidated assay, done for research purposes. Just give us a call for details. A blood sample must be taken BEFORE antivenom is administered.


9 Jan 2018

Veterinary Awards Nominations

This Year’s Pet Plan Nominations have been announced. We are delighted and very proud that hard work and dedication of our members of staff have been recognised Well done!


22 Dec 2017

A BIG THANK YOU

A BIG THANK YOU.

I would just like to say a “BIG” thank you to all our lovely clients at our Gordon House surgery who have purchased my candle cups during 2017 that I display on the waiting room mantlepiece. Your kindness and generosity means a lot

Also I must convey my grateful thanks  to the clients who bring me in cups and other vestibules for me to use.

This year I raised £148 which will go towards the care of the cats and kittens in the care of Camberley & District Cats Protection.

Thanks again and have a lovely Christmas.

Best wishes, Debbie

Reception Manager at Blackwater Valley Vets.

 


20 Dec 2017

Our Christmas and New Year Opening TImes


Latest News

Facebook

What You’re Saying

Excellent veterinary practice – very caring and also accommodating with appointments.

Angie Westlake
via touchlocal.com

Our practices

Gordon House Vet Centre, Camberley

Elm Cottage Vet Centre, Frimley Green